Monday, June 21, 2010

The Story Behind Silly Bandz

I recently took a friend to Pizza Putt in South Burlington, VT. We mainly went to play mini-golf (all 11 holes...) but were side-tracked when exiting by Skee-Ball. After a few games, we had about 14 tickets and decided to redeem them for Tootsie Rolls at the ticket counter. However, we ended up waiting about 15 minutes for our Tootsie Rolls. Why? Because a group of kids were making the biggest decision of their lives: which pack of Silly Bandz was worth their ticket redemption.

I'd seen Silly Bandz at Michael's, A.C. Moore, Toys 'R' Us, Walmart, drugstores, etc. I knew my younger cousins were obsessed with them. I, too, succumbed to the fads of my childhood. I had a Tamagotchi, Furby, robot dog and currently still have a few crates of Beanie Babies. Somehow, those fads still make sense to me. I guess I'm too old to see the appeal of shaped rubber bands.

After reading this article about the founder of Silly Bandz, I still don't see the appeal but I better understand the power of viral marketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment